Dawn Staley


The times that I did play basketball with the girls I found myself getting into fights. If I'm playing with one of the girl's boyfriends, maybe she thinks that more than basketball's going on. But that was the furthest from my mind. I wanted to play basketball. I wanted to win. I wanted to compete. This is what feels good to me. Playing with the guys feels good to me. It feels very natural. -- Dawn Staley




Dawn Michelle Staley, a three-time Olympian, was born May 4, 1970 in Philadelphia. Staley was named the National High School Player of the Year during her final season at Dobbins Tech High School in Philadelphia. She played collegiate basketball at the University of Virginia, leading the Cavaliers to four NCAA tournaments, three Final Fours, and one National Championship game.

After graduation, Staley went to play professional basketball in France, Italy, Brazil and Spain. She was chosen 9th overall by the Charlotte Sting in the WNBA entry draft in 1999, and played her last game as a

member of the Houston Comets in 2001. Having won gold medals in the 1996, 2000 and 2004 Olympics, Staley was elected to carry the American flag at the Opening Ceremony of the 2004 Olympics.

Staley was named the head coach of the Temple Owls Women's team following the 1999 season. Staley announced in May 2008 that she would be taking the job as head coach at the University of South Carolina. Staley compiled a 128-70 record during her 8-year career at Temple, taking her team to 6 NCAA tournaments and winning 4 Atlantic-10 conference titles.